Cyprus Mathematical Olympiad
The Cyprus Mathematical Olympiad (Greek: Κυπριακή Μαθηματική Ολυμπιάδα; CMO) is a Cyprus mathematics competition for students in every grade, organized by the Cyprus Mathematical Society. There is one set of problems for every grade in primary school (Dhitmotiko): 4th, 5th and 6th, another set for junior high-school (Gymnasium) and another for high-school (Lyceum). Note that Cyprus Mathematical Olympiad has nothing to do with the selection process of the national teams of Cyprus.
Students must answer 30 multiple choice mathematics problems in 60 minutes. Each correct answer gives 4 points, each wrong answer subtracts 1 point and no answer gives no points (but no points are lost). This means there is a penalty for wrong answers. Each set of problems is rewarded separately. The results are not announced except for the top 6/100 contestants of each set of problems, and they are rewarded in the ratio 1:2:3 for gold, silver and bronze metal respectively.
- Gold medals will be awarded to the top 1/100 of the contestants.
- Silver medals will be awarded to the next 2/100.
- Bronze medals will be awarded to the next 3/100.
List of CMO's
- The 1st CMO was held on 16th January 2000.
- The 2nd CMO was held on 29th April 2001
- The 3rd CMO was held on 7th April 2002.
- The 4th CMO was held on 6th April 2003.
- The 5th CMO was held on 21 March 2004.
- The 6th CMO was held on 10th April 2005.
- The 7th CMO was held on 9th April 2006.
- The 8th CMO was held on 29th April 2007.
- Cyprus MO Problems and Solutions -- A community effort to provide solutions to all Cyprus MO problems from which students can learn.